Sunday 29 May 2011

Dressmaking


Clothing is not something I've stitched before (apart from for dolls & bunnies!!) but I saw a pattern for Amelia a couple of months ago which caught my eye. It came with the the necessary fabrics to make the dress which looked gorgeous. However, what I could not see from the screen was the fact that the white fabric was velvet, which was an absolute b***er to stitch with for my first time at dressmaking.

However, I persevered and made mistakes and stitched & unpicked & restitched & sweated, pressed, admired & finally finished today *phew*

Amelia is in love with her new dress & James is demanding his own (!!) I think I may have persuaded James that PJ bottoms would be much better for him than a dress - anyone know of any good patterns??

So here is Amelia, modelling her new dress, being a "fairy butterfly" (which seems to be her favoured creature right now)








I think I shall be making more of these! The pattern is Polkadots & Summer by Fig Tree & Co and the fabric used is Joel Dewberry Modern Meadow (love the blue & red).

Amelia is 4 next month but very tall so I chose to stitch the dress in a size 6 and not surprisingly, it's not actually that big on her so will hopefully last until at least Christmas. What I loved about the pattern is that it can easily be teamed with a long sleeved t-shirt and thick tights in the autumn

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my she looks soo cute and the dress is fab well done . I just love her hair and she looks so much like you.

jayne
xx

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, she's grown so much ... and well done on the dress making ... wonderful pattern and she looks beautiful in it!!!

danemi1 said...

oh my word - that dress is beautiful - I have not attempted clothing yet for the children - I have a 7 yr old and would love to try and make her a girly dress whilst she will still wear one - may well look into this - thank you for sharing x