Wednesday 22 December 2010

Time to start!

I have been asked before why I don't blog and the truth was, I wasn't sure I could keep up with it.


But, I want to keep a record of what I'm up to so am giving it a go!


Earlier this year (late Summer time) I finally caught the quilting bug. I have been sewing for a few years now - dolls etc but hadn't yet plucked up the courage to start such a large project. Once I'd started, however, I have found it very hard to stop!


Here are some of the quilts I've made to date:

Amelia's Coin Quilt (tutorial from Moda Bakeshop by http://www.crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/) :

Reverse of Amelia's coin quilt:The fabrics used for this are 2 x Moda charm packs. Pretty sure they are called Verna but I didn't keep the packaging (am desperately trying not to hoard as much as I used to - new me!). The backing is fabulous Tilda fabric. I am even more in love with the extra width you get from Tilda fabrics now that I realise I didn't have to piece the back. Purchased from my fabulous (if I say so myself!) shop here. I used the same fabric for the binding

This is James' quilt front - same tutorial - this is actually the first quilt I completed. Again it's using two Moda charm packs - this time Keiki Woodland. My first attempt at freemotion quilting too and boy was that hard work! I was trying to cut corners and used a cheap cotton (Moon cotton I think??) and the tension was out on the back. No matter what I did, I just couldn't get it to work. 4 hours and I'd completed less than a quarter of the quilting. After a lot of googling, I read somewhere (sorry - I forget where now) that the quality of thread is important and this can have an overall bearing on how your machine quilts. So, I went off to get me some Guttermann threads and after that it was a dream!


The reverse of James' quilt:

The backing for this quilt is Moda fabric purchased from Patchwork Chicks in Barrowford (along with the charm packs for Amelia's quilt) and the binding is Moda basics - brown with a tiny cream dot. I'm pretty sure that's not the formal name for it but, like most things, I've forgotten what it's actually called

I shall leave it at that for now - lots more to show but I must get on. Luckily no more snow overnight but the conditions out there are pretty nasty so Lianne is working from home today, leaving me time to try & do a little more sorting next door. Up to the attic I go!

No comments: